Sunday, July 8, 2012

The People of Hopewood – Meet Doug



Meet Doug

Doug is Hopewood’s osteopath and has been with the team 18 years! Doug works with guests through the process of improving their health, particularly muscular & skeletal related problems


1.       How long have you been working at Hopewood?
 I have been working at Hopewood for 18 years. Wow, that went quickly!

2.        Tell us a little bit about your role/job at Hopewood?
As the osteopath at Hopewood, I treat patients with muscular & skeletal related problems. However, my first interests and studies were in general health and naturopathy approximately 35 years ago. I was particularly drawn toward the logic and wisdom of natural hygiene and health. Hopewood is founded on these principals i.e the way you live, profoundly influences your health, such as diet, rest, activity, psychology etc.

Along with my colleagues at Hopewood I am responsible for guiding guests through the process of improving their health. This usually involves deciding what the appropriate nutritional program is to meet their specific goals and needs. This may involve a short time on a restricted regime such as a ‘detox’ diet, juices or fasting. Health is determined by what we eat which is why a person’s health can be affected on so many levels at Hopewood.

3.       What do you enjoy most about working at Hopewood?
I really enjoy guiding guests through the process of improving or regaining health and seeing tangible results.
Some of the guests become good friends and some of my good friends become guests. It’s also great being able to work with a great team of likeminded professionals.

4.       What is your best piece of advice for healthy living?
When I was confronted with my own health crisis some 26 years ago, a properly supervised fast brought about my recovery. Since then I have had the good fortune to observe and supervise many who have gained vitality and good health through good nutrition and in many cases fasting. It is also important to be physically active, doing something you enjoy. I do not like doing exercise, as such, but I do like being active. For me this centres around the ocean - swimming, sailing and especially surfing. No one can afford to neglect their health; the thing you neglect most is the one you need to attend to most! In my view, the taking of vitamin pills and potions has become a distraction rather than assistance to some people’s health.

5.    What do you enjoy most about working at Hopewood?
Lunch, the food is delicious. Also, the real thrill is guests parting comments such as “This has changed my life!” “I feel so much better”, “Me and my family are so pleased, thank you all”.

6.    Do you have any tips for how you take care of your own personal health and wellbeing?
Our bodies can have an amazing capacity to restore health. Most importantly we do not need to hinder it but nature. If you need or want optimal results don’t be moderaste, you need to do better than that, and the result will come.
7.    What is your best piece of advice for healthy living?
My personal belief is that our health is inextricably dependant of that of the planet. It is incumbent upon us that in our pursuit of health and happiness we consider the impact our actions have upon the earth and other creatures with whom we share it. To do otherwise is unwise and inevitably unhealthy. Animal products usually come at a high cost to ourselves, other animals and the environment. A plant based diet with minimal animal product is a good start for your health and the environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment